PHILLIPS & POWIS

F.G. and G.H. Miles designed and built Martlet biplanes themselves, but even smaller Satyr was built by Parnall at Yate. On a flight from Yate to his base at Shoreham F.G. Miles stopped at Reading (Woodley) for lunch. He fell into conversation with Charles Powis, of Phillips & Powis, car and cycle dealers who owned Woodley aerodrome. Upshot was that Miles enterprise became part of Phillips & Powis January 1933, moving to Woodley. Here prototype Hawk 2-seat monoplane was produced (29 March 1932), selling at £395, first of many thousands of Miles aircraft built at Reading. Original tentative Phillips & Powis Aircraft (Reading) Ltd was replaced March 1935 by public company Phillips & Powis Aircraft Ltd. In 1936 Rolls-Royce acquired interest, A.F. (Sir Arthur) Sidgreaves becoming chairman. This eased previous severe cash shortage, but enormous orders for aircraft, especially Master advanced trainer, enabled Miles to take over RR interest 1941 and form new all-company board. This was followed October 1943 by change of name to Miles Aircraft.

Read 145 times