PETTERS

Petters Ltd formed 7 July 1910 at Yeovil mainly to produce oil engines but in April 1915 began move to new site where large factory was built to produce aircraft. Robert Bruce joining as designer, factory being called Westland Aircraft Works. Initial production was under licence: Short 225, Short Canton-Unné, Sopwith 1½-Strutter, D.H.4, D.H.9 and Vimy. Petter’s own designs began with N.16 and 17 fighter seaplanes (October 1917) but these, and all successors, were commonly known as Westland aircraft, even though company name did not change until 4 July 1935.

Read 135 times