MARTIN & HANDASYDE

H.P. Martin and George Handasyde formed company at Woking 1908 to build aircraft at Brooklands. No. 1 1908 failed to fly with Humber car engine, but No. 2 monoplane was excellent and led to others including 1912 Military Trials monoplane, all owing something to Antoinette. In 1912 or early 1913 company re-registered as Martinsyde Ltd. Built S.1 scout biplane (October 1914), about 60 built, followed by larger G.100 and G.102 Elephant single-seat scouts (about 300). Following prototypes of F.1, 2 and 3 F.4 Buzzard 145-mph single-seat fighter was ordered in large numbers, but fewer than 62 delivered at Armistice.

Read 142 times