John Samuel White was flourishing boatbuilder at East Cowes, Isle of Wight, who on 1 January 1913 opened Aviation Department. All own-design aircraft called Wight, not only for location but also for company name and that of designer, Howard T. Wright. Pusher seaplane exhibited February 1913, at least 13 built, 11 for RNAS. Admiralty Type 840 seaplane, 2 only, but giant Wight Twin, 3; Trainer seaplane, 2; Baby, 3; landplane Bomber, 1; but Converted Seaplane (conversion of Bomber), 50. Firm also built AD.1000 seaplane and 110 Short 184 seaplanes.

Read 94 times