T.O.M. Sopwith was important pioneer pilot, also famous for ballooning, car-racing and, especially, ocean yacht-racing. In 1912 formed Sopwith Aviation Co. at Kingston-on-Thames, assisted by engineer Fred Sigrist and pilot…
F.G. and G.H. Miles, D.L. Brown and H. Hull greatly modified an Avro Baby at Shoreham early 1929 into Martlet aerobatic single-seater. Further orders resulted in formation of Southern Aircraft…
Success of Spartan aircraft built by Simmonds led to formation 1930 of Spartan Aircraft Ltd at original location (Weston, Southampton), moving February 1931 to East Cowes, IoW. There built Arrow…
Standard Motor Co. Ltd, Coventry, produced BE.12, RE.8 and Sopwith Pup 1916-18.
Steel Wing Co., Cheltenham, subcontractors in First World War, built wings of Bristol M.R.1.
Sunbeam Motor Car Co., Wolverhampton, major producer of aircraft engines 1916-18, with a trickle of post-war production, built Avro 504B, Short 827, Short 320 and Short Bomber aircraft for Admiralty.…
Noel Pemberton-Billing stood for Parliament in early 1916, and to avoid charge that he was a war profiteer sold his interest in Pemberton-Billing Ltd at Woolston, Southampton. Control passed to…
Surrey Flying Services Ltd, Croydon, built A.L.1 side-by-side biplane trainer (1929) to design of J. Bewsher. Used intensively until war.
W.G. Tarrant Ltd, timber merchants and builders of Byfleet, Surrey, produced giant Tabor triplane (6 x 450-hp Lion), crashed on first take-off 26 May 1919.
Tawney Aircraft Ltd formed 1957 at Stapleford (previously called Stapleford Tawney) airfield to produce Owl 2-seat monoplane (75-hp pusher Porsche); damaged on first take-off 22 April 1960.
John F. Taylor roduced JT.1 single-seater (4 July 1959), but was killed 16 May 1967 during testing of JT.2 Tich racer. Plans marketed, business continued by Mrs T. Taylor, about…
Richard Taylor built experimental monoplane at Hamsey Green, killed by wing failure on first flight 7 January 1937.
Taylorcraft Aeroplanes (England) Ltd formed November 1938 to build under licence from Taylor-Young at new factory at Thurmaston, Leicester. Initial production called Plus C (55-hp Lycoming) and Plus D (90-hp…
The Thruxton Aviation and Engineering Co. Ltd formed 1962 to produce Gadfly 2-seat autogyro. Became Gadfly.
Tipsy Aircraft Co. Ltd formed as sales organization February 1937 at London Air Park, Hanworth. Sold Tipsy S.2s built at Bristol (Kingswood), but manufactured B under Fairey licence, introducing many…
Large retailers Trago Mills Ltd built prototype SAH-1 trainer (23 August 1983); superb aircraft, but never succeeded in sewing up a programme, sold to Orca.
United Aerospace Technologies Ltd, on Dartmoor, marketed various forms of Ranger light canard pusher with either 1 or 2 190-hp Continental, 1987.
Dr J.H.B. Urmston built Currie Wot 2 1958 and later held rights, marketing small number of plans.
In 1908 Vickers Sons & Maxim Ltd, one of giant shipbuilding, engineering and arms conglomerate's companies, built airship Mayfly for Admiralty, but it suffered structural failure. Built further airships, most…
Vulcan Motor & Engineering Co. (1906) Ltd, Crossens, Southport, Lancs, built B.E.2c/d/e, D.H.4, D.H.9 and 9A in First World War.
Wallis Autogyros Ltd formed at Cambridge, moving to Reymerston Hall, Norfolk, by W. Cdr. Ken Wallis 1959. First autogyro (August 1961) developed many patented features. Subsequently autogyros of several basic…
Page 15 of 16